If you cannot tell, I love birthdays. LOVE them. I don’t care how old I am getting, they are fun to celebrate, hang out with friends and family, and eat some delicious dessert. Seriously, it’s just a number. I certainly don’t look like I’m turning 26 (thanks for making me realize that one again, little seventh grader the other day who told me I wasn’t old enough to even think about being married), so there is no way I have to act like it… outside of work.
Last year, I started a goal list of 30 things I want to do before I’m 30. I have been crossing them off as I achieve them, and I have to say, I think I am doing pretty well.
Here is what I have so far and what I have already accomplished in the past year:
1. Go to Europe at least once.
2. Take a photography class.
3. Reread all of the Harry Potter books again. – In progress with my literacy class
4. Learn enough Spanish to have a conversation.
5. Feel comfortable in my own skin (which means working hard to tone everything up).
6. Pay off most of my student loans (have no more than $5000 left). (DONE! 9/21/11)
7. Get a pet (cat or dog, but it has to be at a time when we feel like we aren’t cheating on our pets who live with our parents).
8. Have someone buy a piece of my photography. (Christmas photo shoot, 12/18/11)
9. Enter a cooking or baking competition.
10. Start another Master’s degree.
11. Take a cooking class (preferably with B).
12. Move to another state (and live to tell the tale).
13. See the Eiffel Tower in person.
14. Live in a house/apartment where I can paint the walls (we’ll see if this happens).
15. Run (and actually run) a 5k or the Four of the Fourth (a local race B and I do every year) – I will be on June 1!
16. Be someone’s role model.
17. Be in another one of my friends’ weddings. (Bestie C’s Wedding 8/19/11, but I wouldn’t mind more!) 18. Take someone’s wedding-related pictures (and kick butt at it). (Friend K’s boudoir shoot, 4/12) 19. Sew a piece of clothing for myself. (Envelope clutch, achieved 4/18/12) 20. See a volcano. (Achieved 7/11)
21. Learn to do a dive.
22. Try a type of ethnic food I have never had before (like Ethiopian). (Middle Eastern, achieved 4/19/12)
23. Cook a turkey (correctly!)
24. Celebrate our five year anniversary with our family and friends.
25. Confidently wear a bikini.
26. Start seriously thinking about having some little chicklettes.
27. Grow my hair out and donate it to Beautiful Lengths at least one more time. – In progress, with even more meaning now that I have found out that my favorite mentor teacher from grad school is suffering from cancer.
Apply to be on “Amazing Race” with B. (Application submitted 10/17/11!)
29. Go to Cape Cod.
30. Donate blood once a year. (I’m trying, but of all three times I have tried, I have failed.) – Okay, this one is a total dud. I have tried three times, and each time, ALL of the nurses have tried and failed to get my veins. I turned into a human pin cushion. So I am changing this goal to read at least twelve books before turning 30. There are no needles involved in that one.
There are a couple more that are close to being done, but I don’t quite want to talk about them yet. No, it’s not the baby one. Sorry Moms.
What do you want to do before you turn the next “big” age? Should I add anything to my list?